Andy's Art and Whatever

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson 1958-2009

I’m sure by now everyone’s heard the news... that Michael Jackson has passed away. I dunno about the rest of you, but this was a complete shock to me, especially since I had only just recently been getting into his music.

For me, it’s been a mixed day of emotions. I’m sad and depressed over the passing of such a great musical legend, and I’m angry and pissed off at my co-workers who did nothing but make snide ridiculing comments and jokes about his death.

Anyone who’s done a little bit of research on Michael will know that a lot of the tabloid headlines were exaggerated and false. It’s a shame that such a great man was forced to go into seclusion and practically give up music simply due to the media’s unrelenting slander. He’s had a hard enough life as it is, and him dying only a few weeks from a comeback tour just makes it even more tragic.

Say what you will about the man, but I believe he wouldn’t hurt a fly. As a child he had to endure a lot of abuse and as a grown man he simply wanted to make sure children were treated right and grew up having the fun and love that he didn’t have. But when you have tons of money and popularity, it naturally draws ire and unwanted attention. It didn’t help that he had a disease which bleached his skin, forcing him to get surgery turning him white and creating an endless array of wild rumors about his personal life.

In the end though, regardless of what’s true and what’s not... his music did indeed inspire and touch almost everyone. If you listen to any current music, chances are that the bands behind them were in some way affected by Michael Jackson. And “Thriller” is by far one the greatest song I’ve ever heard.

Don McClean’s song might have been about Buddy Holly’s death... but for me.. Today is the day that the music truly died.

Rest in Peace, Michael.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home