Andy's Art and Whatever

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Formera Book 2 Finally Arrives!

Yes! It’s True! My books finally came today! The reason they were taking so long was just a simple error in the address. Yay! It’s here! And the book looks AWESOME!

I don’t know if Alterna is using a new printer or what, but this book just look so much better than the first book. The quality of the printing just feels better, and the fact that I colored the whole book in color and reduced it to b/w gives it a much richer feeling. There is a TINY bit of stretching on some pages due to the size format of the book, but it’s nothing that detracts from the story and only really noticeable to me (cuz I drew it and am picky about tiny things like that lol).

I’m so happy it finally arrived! I’ve re-read it several times today. I wrote the first book in a size that was not all that much smaller than what the actual print size was. As a result, you can notice a lot of mistakes and poorly drawn stuff in the first book (in my opinion). It’s a good rule of thumb to draw at about 120% larger than the actual print size. When the images are reduced, squiggly lines look smooth, detail blends together, and small imperfections disappear. It’s a trick all comic book artists live by.

For book 2 I started using larger paper, knowing that it would be reduced eventually. I also started using different sized pens. A .08 for the gutters, word balloons, and anything up close. A .05 for the main artwork and anything in medium focus. And a .03 for anything in the far background or to add detail. It’s such a simple thing, but it really paid off in the end.

I think this is, without a doubt, the most professional looking book I have ever done. Even the story flows better too. I took time to develop the characters more and to explain some of the plot. This slow down works in great contrast to the urgency of the ending and it makes the book just feel much more solid than the first book which (to me) felt far too rushed.

So I am very happy! Being able to see the book in print gives me insight into how to work on producing Book 3 and any other book I might want to make on my own. I can’t put it down! Gyaah!!!!

2 Comments:

  • Hi Andy !!!!!

    Glad to see that you are doing well. I still look over all your artwork that you drew for all of us when you worked at (fabric and craft store). All of it is still posted in the breakroom !!! We haven't taken any of it down.

    Your website sure has grown and I love all your art.

    Take care and enjoy

    Diane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

  • I've noticed that with my latest book as well. That and I thought the colors (well sepia's) on the cover were a lot more vibrant too.

    That and I really like the new 6x9 format as well. All in all, I'm very pleased with the new look.

    By Blogger Bret M. Herholz, At February 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home