Andy's Art and Whatever

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Happy Hanukkah!

Seriously. I’m going to go celebrate Hanukkah this weekend, so I’m gonna be gone for about 4 days. But before I left I just wanted to say a few things.

1. I honestly didn’t think that people would be SOOOOO offended by my little comic called “Seasons Greetings.” It was just drawn because it’s some odd thing that I do to mess with people on a day to day basis. It’s fun and some of the reactions from people are hilarious. That’s all it was meant to be. Stupid fun.

To be perfectly honest I am a bit surprised by a lot of the “hate” comments I got for it. I mean, I drew a blasphemous picture of JESUS FIGHTING A DINOSAUR with a friggin’ SWORD for crying out loud, and even had the audacity to title it “Jesus HATES Dinosaurs.” No one bats an eye. But if I mention Seasons Greetings and suggest people should be a little more respectful of other religions (or lack thereof), suddenly it’s the Apocalypse!

I never intended it to be a politically correct message, although through a lot of the fighting, that’s what it started to turn out to be. I’m glad that some people were able to just look at it and laugh at what it originally was meant to be... a cheap laugh.

2. I’ve uploaded my final video game review for the website that’s launching this weekend. I wish I had a link to give you all, but unfortunately I don’t and I won’t get back until after it launches, so I’ll just update you all then. Danny and Spot are going to be moving there so any further comics I have of them will probably be posted there instead of here.

3. I didn’t have time to finish a picture that I really wanted to get done, but it’s just incredibly cute and I hope that you all don’t mind waiting until probably after Christmas before it’s done.

4. Here’s something that I, while during the fighting over my “Seasons Greetings” post, found to be slightly relevant.

“To the man who loves art for art’s sake, it’s commonly in the lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.”

Think about that quote for a minute. What it means is that while Art tends to have a lot of high-brow amazing work, it’s usually the low-brow stuff that gets any recognition. A painting hanging on the wall of a museum will receive less attention in comparison than a hot new Comic Book, for example. Both could feature a naked woman, but only the comic book will receive the crazy attention and media sensation for it.

After the fuss made over my stupid cartoon, I began to think about this quote a lot. I mean, there’s GOT to be better painted stuff to fuss over than a silly little scribble like my cartoon.

I dunno. What do you think that quote means? Do you think it’s true or not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home