Andy's Art and Whatever

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History in the Making

It’s not often one gets to witness history being made. Many times the important or significant event does not seem as important or significant at the time, and it’s only later in hindsight that we come to realize how monumental it really was. Other times the important event is over played and publicized far beyond what it should, which dulls down the impact. But then, there are times when a truly significant moment unfolds and you just know that no matter what, it’s going to have a huge impact upon our future generations. Tonight was one of those nights.

Of course unless you’ve been under a rock, you know now that Barack Obama is our new President. I heard the announcement today while I was at work, and I was able to get off just in time to hear McCain’s defeated speech. While walking to the car I could hear horns on the road beeping triumphantly, and I could see crowds of people on the sidewalks jumping, cheering and laughing. Shortly after picking up my girlfriend from her work, we both sat and listened to Obama’s acceptance speech live on the radio.

Today was seriously one of the most surreal days I have ever experienced. From waiting in line in the morning to vote, to the bits and pieces of information that trickled in while I was at work, to the final moment when I heard that Obama had one. It ended almost a good 4 or 5 months of worry, doubt, fear, and dread that I have been experiencing. It was like someone just took a weight off my back.

Now I just wanted to point out a curious thing I noticed while listening to the defeated speech and the acceptance speech. I noticed that Obama mentioned how John McCain had served for America and put up with a lot of stuff and fought valiantly, to which he got cheers and applause. But the moment Obama’s name came up in McCain’s speech, there were loud groups of people booing, hissing, and shouting negative things. That struck me as a little odd and it can really show you the difference in mentality between the republicans and the democrats. One wants to extend an olive branch to the other side, while the other side wants to cuss, point fingers, and blame. That’s a little sad.

I liked the story at the end of Obama’s speech which talked about the 106 year old black lady who has been through so much in such a short amount of time. I think that was a nice touch and it perfectly summed up the achievement of this win.

Of course there’s a lot to be done now. Obama may be our next president but we don’t know if he’s going to be able to live up to his promises, if he’s going to be able to fix our economy, or possibly fend off another potential terrorist attack. Time will tell I guess, if Obama’s got the answers to all those things.

At the most, I would like to see Obama restore the balance of power in the government which has been for so long screwed up thanks to Bush. When 9/11 happened, Bush acted so fast that it was hard to truly understand what he was doing, and soon enough, he has had more influence and power than anyone EVER should have. I would Like to see Obama bring that tip of the scale back to normal so that BOTH parties have equal shares and say, the way it’s suppose to be.

All I can say is...

I’m just happy Palin’s not in a position of power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home